Labor Day Beer Trek

This labor day was a little quieter than previous weeks with the beer festivities at least for me.


However... I was able to take part in a little trip down south to Bloomington to visit a couple of breweries.


First stop was at Upland Brewing Company . Most Hoosiers know of this company, since they have been one of Indiana's top micro brewers for the past 13 years.  This was my first time actually visiting the brew pub. I have had many samples of Upland during beer fests and at local bars but there is always something better about coming to the place where all it comes together.

I arrived to Upland a little before noon.. (hey.. it's always 5 o'clock somewhere).. and right of the bat ordered a sample set of all 7 drafts available along with the spinach and artichoke dip to help snack in between sampling. 


(I was slightly disappointed that they didn't have their Bad Elmer's Porter which is usually a year around beer on tap, but the selection available seemed to be a good variety.)


<-- From bottom to the right I went around the board..

My order of tasting was:
1. Double Dragonfly Imperial IPA
Despite the high IBU, this was very nice IPA. I could even see myself drinking more of it. Even with the floral notes in the aroma. 
2. Rad Red Amber Ale
3. Helios Pale Ale 
Both of these were drinkable but not distinctive enough for my taste. However, they are smooth enough for anyone to drink. 
4. Wheat Ale 
I liked that this was a Belgian Wit  instead of more of a weissbier. The orange peels that were added during brewing gave it a nice light citrusy taste, however I prefer a lemon flavor more with my witbeirs than orange, but overall a very nice brew. 
5. Oktoberfest
As the Amber Ale and Pale ale previously, the Oktoberfest was a smooth beer but didn't have me craving more. 
6. Nut Hugger Brown Ale 
Another festival tasted brew.. but in this line up stood out more given the carmelness of the malts. 
7. Mother's Milk Stout 
If you read my review of HBG5 then you know this is one was on top of my list from the beginning. 

After visiting Upland, I will say I had more of an appreciation for their beers, even the ones that are not my typical profile choices. I do suggest if you get a chance to visit their Bloomington Brew Pub or at least their tasting room in BroadRipple. You may be surprised as well.


 After Upland and the scenic tour of Brown County, the next brewery I visited has only been on the map for 2 years.  Big Woods Brewing Company literally sits in the heart of Brown County's crafts district.

 (which is a pain to find parking, but fun if you are on foot.) 



If you'd like More information on Big Woods can be found from Bob's blog from 2010: Big Woods Addition.


Sitting at Big Woods Brew Pub is by the honor's code, as in they don't have a hostess and you line up on the porch. It's a small brew pub, but it has a small friendly staff. After a brief wait, a table was free and I got to order their sample flight and an appetizer. 

Sample of  7
My samples from left to right where:

  • Busted Knuckle Ale -- a hybrid ale.. with the color of a porter but the taste of an ale.
  • Cat Tail Wheat -- an American Wheat, however had more weiss taste. The orange slice addition actually was a little too much. 
  • Six Foot Blonde -- a soft blonde ale
  • Possum Trot Pale -- followed by a soft pale ale
  • Hare Trigger IPA -- this one was actually the "winner" of this round of sampling. a figuratively light IPA with only an IBU of 75. I preferred it above all the rest because it had more of a robust flavor than the other 6. 
  • John's Red Ale -- an easy drinking red ale
  • Tim's Big Woods Stout -- a light tasting stout. It seduced me by name, color and smell but left me hanging with no richness that I have come accustomed to with stouts. 

As you can see overall the beer was OK, but my expectations were set high with a name like Big Woods... I was hoping for Big Flavor. 


I would however go back to Big Woods Brewing Company because the pulled pork nachos were amazing.


Both breweries should definitely be on the map to try for yourself, mostly because no one know can tell you what you'll like.. you just have to go experience yourself.   I know that trying the IPAs from both places made me rethink my stance on hoppier beers, but I could have been under the influence of my Flat12 Bierworks shirt -- "Hopheaded Stepchild" 


In the end.. I want to say thank you Upland and Big Woods for the visit.. hope to see you again soon!
















No comments:

Post a Comment