Indiana Rocks

Having just returned from a vacation on the East Coast, I am glad to be home in Indiana.  I had one heck of a time finding good beer while in Virginia Beach.  There was one brew pub in Virginia Beach and one in Norfolk.  The beer selection in the store was pretty sad, too.  I did luck out and find Stone IPA, Arrogant Bastard, and Smoked Porter in bombers.  There was also Sierra Nevada Pale and a few of the Magic Hat offerings, but that was it for craft beer. 

We then ventured to New Jersey on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry across the Delaware Bay.  The ferry had a bar serving Dogfish Head, which recently opened a brew pub in Rehoboth Beach, which is about 10 minutes from the ferry.  I was stunned by the lack of beer available in New Jersey.  I need to thank John Holl, he sent me to the Tun Tavern in Atlantic City.  It is in a hotel about a block from the beach.  The food was very good, had a chicken Philly that was awesome.  Their IPA was solid, just as their other beers were.  I sampled a Saison, an Irish Red, a Stout, and they were all solid, brewed to style beers.  The tanks are above the bar in glass so everyone can see them.  It was nice to walk in a place so far from home and smell beer brewing, it is a most amazing smell!

With all that said, I am glad to be home.  Indiana has an amazing amount of brew pubs and breweries.  We also have an amazing amount of craft beer available from other states.  I used to think the grass was greener in other states, but after this vacation, I know better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in Virginia Beach back at the tail-end of May (I lived there for 10 years prior to moving here 3 years ago) and found a good place that sold 6-packs of Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian IPA for $9. They also had bottles of Southern Tier's Chokolat Stouts for $7 which I quickly stocked up on. The latter ran out at Kahn's before even making the shelves. It's hard to find good beer out there but when you do, the search is worth it.

- NooseJustice

Post a Comment