Lafayette Brewing Co.

Last night I took a little venture up to Lafayette, where a friend and I had dinner at Lafayette Brewing Co.
Excited to try out what they had on tap, since I've only experienced Lafayette's Brewing Co. at local festivals, my friend and I ordered the sampler of 10 to share and so I could try everything they had available.

Around the board was:
-House-
Eighty Five Ale
Piper's Pride Scottish Ale
Black Angus Oatmeal Stout
Star City Lager
Tippecanoe Common Ale

-Specialty-
Chocolate Velvet BAOS
Michanook APA
Nuggles XXX Old Ale
Jupiter Pils



The atmosphere was very casual, pub like setting. Next time I'll have to go upstairs to the event room and check it out.

For the most part the beers were solid. Nothing overall hoppy. The way that that tray is set up is house beers to one side and specialty to another which mixes the hoppy beers with the more malted. I could have rearranged the set but my friend and I went down the line, except we moved the Chocolate Velvet BAOS to the end, for dessert.

What I ordered for dinner actually killed off the hoppy factor on some of the beers, particularly the Michanook APA. I had the slow cooked brisket with the chipotle BBQ sauce and the spiciness of the sauce made the APA very malty.

For a first timer into the world of craft beer, the staff and the menu is a great assistance if you don't know what to order. When we were asking about different beers, the staff was great at giving descriptions and IBU and color of each style. The menu also has descriptions along with IBU, ABV and even an SRM graph with Sweet to Bitter and Lager to Ale selections.

My overall thought is that I'd definitely go back for the food and another round, maybe this time try the beers alone to get their true flavors.  If you are a local to Lafayette and haven't popped in, or are new to craft beer,     I suggest stopping on it.

Til next time!
- Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment