Congratulations to Indiana winners at the 2010 National Homebrew Competition:
- Keith Baute & John Showalter, MECA, Gold, American Ale (509 entries – the largest category in the competition)
- Brian Steuerwald, FBI, Silver, Wood Aged Beer (226 entries)
- Andrew Korty, FBI, Bronze, Mild Ale (199 entries)
- Michael Pearson, MECA, Bronze, American IPA (387 entries)
Scott Bort's Weekly Local Craft Roundup tells us
- Crown Brewing will have a Double IPA in mid-July.
- Brickworks Brewing will debut Cornerstone American Pale, O'Mordha Irish Red, and Summer Lager.
- Three Floyds has Jinx Proof and Arctic Panzer Wolf on tap.
- Figure 8 Brewing is putting in a bottling line and will be open on Sundays starting in July.
- Shoreline will repeat their Red White and Brews Festival on July 11th. 11 Breweries are lined up as well as fireworks at dusk.
The Indianapolis City Market is getting a facelift and "expected to open in August, is an all-Indiana beer pub to be run by the Brewers of Indiana Guild -- a key player in efforts to give the market a much-needed evening presence." article
Two Festivals next week (pictures are from last year).
Wednesday the 23rd: The 5th annual Kokomo Humane Society Ales for Tails is at The Quarry. $30 and runs from 5-8pm. World Class Beverages supports this with a very large selection of beers and the Howard County Homebrew Club will have their gas tower pouring. The beer stations have around 6 choices and a food pairing from a local restaurant. Jazz, a silent auction, and a classy clientele makes it a favorite.
Saturday the 26th: Phoenix Theatre's Brew-Ha-Ha at Mass. Ave in Indy is a more raucous affair. 3-7pm. $20 advance / $25 at the door. About 20 breweries will be pouring in this block party on Park St. with bands including Tim Brickley and the Bleeding Hearts, Monkey FIghtin' Snakes (we said more raucous didn't we), and the excellent band The Elect. Food is pizza and stuff but the highlight is the beer and the views. It's a young crowd that revels in the heat and sunshine, yet there is plenty of shade and the porch for the band (bring a chair).
Hey brewers. Saturday is the deadline for getting in your Brewers Cup entries. If you're coming from out of town for the Brew-Ha-Ha, the drop-off point at Sun King is just a few blocks away. Thanks, Tom Stilabower.