Congratulations to the folks who made it through Round 1 in the AHA’s National Homebrew Competition. Final round is June 16th.
- Light Lager 1st – Jason Mundy, Ellettsville, Hop Jockeys
- Light Lager 2nd – Brian Spaulding & Ross Heironimus, Ft. Wayne, MASH
- Amber Lager 2nd – Brian Steuerwald, Brownsburg, FBI
- English Pale Ale 1st – Tom Wallbank, Zionsville, FBI
- English Pale Ale 3rd – Jason Mundy, Ellettsville, Hop Jockeys
- American Ale 1st – Jim Matt, Indy, MECA
- Porter 2nd – Mark Schiess, Carmel, FBI
- Stout 3rd – Joe Werner, Indy, FBI
- German Wheat 1st – Wayne Patmore, Celestine
- German Wheat 3rd – Steve Llewellyn, Bloomington, Hop Jockeys
- Sour Ale 2nd – Mark Schiess, Carmel, FBI
- Sour Ale 3rd - Brian Steuerwald, Brownsburg, FBI
- Strong Ale 2nd - Mark Schiess, Carmel, FBI
- Strong Ale 3rd - Mark Schiess, Carmel, FBI
- Fruit Beer 3rd - Mark Schiess, Carmel, FBI
- Specialty Beer 2nd – Brian Spaulding and Wes Rader, Ft. Wayne, MASH
- Amber Hybrid 2nd – Carl Nelson and Kent Adler, Indy, FBI
Interested in Victorian British beers? Or the equipment in Victorian pubs? See Martyn Cornell’s “The 1900 Pub – the biggest surprise”.
Two Brothers has bought a 70,000 sq ft restaurant, America’s Historic Roundhouse, in Aurora to become a tied house. press release.
Schmalz is making a beer for the New York Public Library that is based on the handwritten recipe from G. Washington for Small Beer when he was in his 20s. They are only making 25 gallons but getting way more good publicity. press release
"Take a large Sifer (sifter) full of Bran Hops to your Taste. Boil these 3 hours then strain out 30 Gall(ons) into a cooler put in 3 Gall(ons) Molasses while the Beer is Scalding hot ... let this stand till it is little more than Blood warm then put in a quarter of Yea(s)t ..."
Want to rent a brewery for the afternoon. Maybe a backyard BBQ. In your backyard. You need BrewPub4U.